Sunday, August 10, 2014

Finished Bowsprit

This is the finished bowsprit. Parts polished. Bow bracket and anchor rollers moved back. New bronze through bolts installed. Modified end to fit between sampson posts. 





                                                                                 Closer view of bow-stay release and anchor rollers.
Older view of bowsprit before changes.

Cabin top Painted

The cabin top got a new coat of Kiwi
Grip topside paint. 

Keel Attachment

 After many years of thinking about how to attach the keel we've finally agreed on how to do it. Originally we were going to through-bolt all of the individual pieces. There are 11 pieces ( see older posts) that my uncle cast several years ago. Each section weighs from 300 Lbs. to 600 lbs. (total weight is approximately 5500 lbs.) We found an article published by West System where they tested a procedure that epoxied bolts into blind holes. Tensile strength was extraordinary. We estimate our tensile strength on the 5/8 inch stainless bolts to far exceed the weight of the lead. ( the keel is oak) This solves the problem of not being able to easily
                                                    
through bolt under the engine and in much thicker keel areas.
Each bolt will be fitted, and sealed at the bottom of the hole with 3m 5200. A side hole will be drilled into the bolt hole at the top so that epoxy will be able to be injected into the bolt space. An additional top air vent side hole will be drilled. Each keel section will be smeared with thickened epoxy when set in final position.

Bead-blasting bronze fittings

 We took the opportunity during the winter to use a friend's bead-blaster. This unit made light work of shining old tarnished bronze fittings. We cleaned approximately 75 LBS. in about about 4 hours.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Spreader Fabrication

 These were cut from ash trees from Tauno's property. They will be around 7.5 feet each. Laminated from two planks glued with opposing grains.  Clamped and glued using epoxy resin. Planed with a power planer. Sanding will be the next step. I have not been able to find brackets or end fitting yet--they will most likely need to be fabricated.


New epoxy for the house top

Fresh epoxy coating on the house top. Getting ready to spread Kiwigrip non-slip paint.  We're losing are warm temperatures in the northeast so we're trying to get in as much painting as possible before winter arrives.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hull painted

We finally got two coats of Interlux Perfection, jet black on the hull. Rolling and tipping, the method used by amateur boat builders  is definitely a skill that we are trying to master.Roll on a thin layer, and use the tip of the brush to knock down bubbles and "orange peel" texture. Too thick, and you get sags and brush marks.  Too thin and it doesn't seem to flow properly.  In areas where we got it right, it looks like it was sprayed.

Cutting boom lumber

                                                                           

 We need a boom 22 feet long. Tauno found a white pine that had blown over in a storm on his property. We cut it from it's base and dragged it to his sawmill where we cut it into a beam and then cut the beam into quarters.  The four pieces were bound and stickered for seasoning over the winter.  In the spring we'll reverse all of the quarter-sawn pieces and glue them together. Reversing the grain will tend to remove natural "checks" or warps from occuring.  We'll then place the solid beam back into the sawmill and create an octagonal spar, which will then be power-planed to a round boom spar.



Locust Planks


Her you see Tauno cutting planks from locust tree that was removed in downtown Salem New York. We were able to produce about a dozen planks 2 inches by 18-26 inches, by approximately 12 feet. We'll let these dry over the winter and use them to make the  traditional Slocum Spray gallows. 

Bowsprit dry-fit

We are dry-fitting the bowsprit and the gammon iron after a bit of modification.


Sunday, August 11, 2013

Deck View- Sanding the house

Getting prepared to paint the top of the house with Awlgrip non-skid. That's my nephew on the bow doing the  final inspection. :-)

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Binnacle/wheel rough fit

Here is the rough-fit wheel and binnacle. The binnacle was made from locust that was cut on Tauno's property. 4 stainless threaded rods will pass through the binnacle and down though beams that support the cockpit floor. Tauno next will fabricate the top to include space for throttle/gearshift, bowthruster controls, gauges, and chart plotter. 

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Photo Book

Check out our new photo book  link to the right or use this link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88424698@N06/

Bowsprit Heel, Gammon Iron

 Here you see the bowsprit heel that has been faired and stained. As you might recall from a previous post the heel will butt against the sampson posts.
You see the modification I made to the gammon iron below. We'll be moving this fitting to the bow. ( more precisely we will be using it as a gammon iron vs. a cranse- I think that is correct!) When it was in service on a friend's boat it was a few feet beyond the bow. This fitting had pulpit pipe supports on each side which will no longer work. I cut them both off and am beginning to refinish the fitting. I first use the grinder, then various grades of sandpaper with a random orbital sander, then use a high speed buffing wheel.  I use a double wheel, first tripoli, then rouge.


Monday, May 20, 2013

Turnbuckles,blocks, binnacle compass

 It has been a constant treasure hunt to find all of the rigging.  Ebay, Craigslist, Wickford Marine Consignment, Mystic Marine Consignment, Mystic Woodenboat Show were all regular sources for parts over the past few years.